LiveWell Longmont in Our Schools
Full Bike Rack at Niwot Elementary School
At LiveWell Longmont, one of our top priorities is the health and well-being of our students. We are fortunate to live in Longmont, Colorado, home of the highly recognized and academically excellent St. Vrain Valley School District. Spread across 411 square miles and across thirteen communities, the St. Vrain Valley School District is the educational home of more than 27,000 of Colorado’s students. Since 2009, LiveWell Longmont has partnered with the St. Vrain Valley School District to enhance the school environment through healthy eating and active living strategies, including the hiring of a school wellness coordinator. The following strategies have been prioritized for our partnership:
- Partner, assist and provide technical assistance within the St. Vrain Valley School District to increase the number of children who consume the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Our successes:
- LWL provided training and/or additional technical assistance to half of St. Vrain Valley Schools regarding comprehensive school health and development of a healthy school environment.
- From 2009-2011, LWL extended grants totaling $16,000 to eight elementary schools to implement school-based healthy eating and active living strategies and activities.
- LWL secured funding and is currently providing implementation support of multi-year physical education quality improvement grant awarded to the district by the Colorado Health Foundation.
- LWL partnered with St. Vrain Valley School District to review and revise SVVSD School Wellness Policy. Revised policy was approved and adopted by the St. Vrain Valley School District Board of Education August 2011.
- Support the development and sustainability of school education gardens within the St. Vrain Valley School District. Our successes:
- From 2009-2011, LWL provided financial support to Growing Gardens to deliver close to 100 classroom visits to elementary schools in the St. Vrain Valley School District.
- Supported a professional development opportunity (Spring 2011) to teachers in the St. Vrain Valley School District focused on school education gardens.
- Identify and eliminate barriers to providing comprehensive Safe Routes to School (SRTS) Program at elementary schools. Our successes:
- For the 2011-2012 school year, LWL partnered with the St. Vrain Valley School District and City of Longmont to secure $75,000 in funding for Safe Routes to School.
- LWL is currently working with three elementary schools to begin Safe Routes to School Programs and continues to provide ongoing technical assistance to those elementary schools who have established SRTS programs. Currently, 17 of 26 elementary schools in SVVSD have SRTS programs.
LWL School Resources:
The Longmont Times Call:
Red Hawk Elementary School Initiates New Fitness Program
Want to get LWL School news in your inbox? Subscribe now!
To join LiveWell Colorado, register now!
Stay informed on what's new at LiveWell.
See what's new and join the conversation.
View past results and find out today's scores.
Register Log In