LiveWell Colorado is thrilled to play a role in helping the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) develop the first-ever Statewide Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan.
Through the Statewide Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan, we will make it easier and safer for employees to bike or walk to work, for kids to bike or walk to school, and for families to use active transportation to get around their neighborhoods.
The intent of the Plan is to develop statewide goals, project evaluation criteria, strategies and performance measures to develop an active transportation infrastructure that promotes health, physical activity, safety and economic vitality. Overall, the Plan will create a statewide vision for bicycling and walking, as well as help to guide future investment decisions for infrastructure and programs supporting these activities.
Through discussions and input from key stakeholders and Colorado citizens, CDOT has developed draft goals for the Plan, which include the following:
- Improve state/regional economy
- Better public health
- Better recreational opportunities and enhanced quality of life
- Better environment and air quality
- Better social and educational opportunities
- Enhance safety
- Increase bicycle and walking activity
- Maximize (other) transportation investments
At LiveWell Colorado, we believe that creating an environment more conducive to bicycling and walking plays a significant role in increasing physical activity and reducing obesity throughout our state.
Further, beyond helping people to become more active, a comprehensive bicycle and pedestrian plan will result in other benefits such as reducing emissions from cars, creating a community amenity, and bringing neighbors and families together.
I am delighted that CDOT is leading this effort and is continuing to build off its strong and progressive foundation for bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure in the state.
As we move forward with the development of this plan, we need your help!
I encourage you to do the following:
- Review a complete list of the Plan’s draft goals.
- Watch a recent webinar hosted by the Colorado Department of Transportation to gain a better understanding of the Plan.
- Participate in a quick survey (before Dec. 21) to provide feedback on the Plan’s draft goals.
By encouraging and enabling more people to bike and walk, we can help shape a positive and healthy future for Colorado.