Yield: Makes 12 muffins
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Combine the apple, ¼ cup brown sugar, and the lemon juice in a bowl, and mix until the apple pieces are evenly coated. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flours, baking powder, pumpkin-pie spice, and salt in a large bowl. Mix in the remaining brown sugar and pecans.
- Whisk together the milk, oil, and egg, then add the apple mixture. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full. Sprinkle with the turbinado sugar. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until the tops are rounded and light brown. Immediately unmold the muffins onto a wire rack. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley