BBQ Green Beans
This recipe was developed for a Denver school garden harvest party and became a hit they repeat each year.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups green beans, or yellow wax beans, trimmed
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add bacon and cook until crispy and most of the fat has melted off.
- Drain the bacon and discard the fat, but don’t wipe the small amount of fat from the pan.
- Add onion and cook until slightly softened, about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, sugar, ketchup, vinegar, salt and Worcestershire sauce and stir together.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, until beans are tender crisp.