Beef, Tomato and Green Pepper Stir-Fry
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 pound round steak, trimmed, cut into 1 ½-inch by 3/4-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon sherry or Shaoxing rice wine
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 onion cut into 8-10 wedges and separated
- 1 green pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
- 2 stalks celery, sliced on diagonal
- 2 tomatoes cut into 8 wedges each
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons water (slurry)
- Marinate meat with sherry, sugar and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Cover bowl and marinate anywhere from 10 minutes to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat in wok or wide, heavy skillet. Add crushed garlic, cook briefly until lightly browned.
- Discard garlic from pan. Add onion and stir-fry one minute.
- Add green pepper and celery. Stir-fry 2 minutes until crisp-tender. Set aside in bowl.
- In same wok, swirl in 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Divide marinated meat in four batches. Cook each batch about 2 minutes, setting aside on platter. Centers may still be pink.
- Add cooked vegetables back to wok or large pan over high heat. Add all meat back to wok and toss to combine. Add cornstarch slurry mixture, and toss to coat meat & vegetables. Cook until mixture thickens and vegetables look glossy, about one minute.
- Add tomatoes and 1 teaspoon soy sauce, then toss quickly, about one minute until heated through. Serve with rice.