A great way to sneak healthy beets into kids’ diets. The simple sugar syrup softens the beets, but is mostly tossed, so very little sugar is actually added.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 8 medium red beets, peeled, root intact
- Heat sugar and water in a medium sauce pan over medium heat just until sugar melts, then turn off.
- While water is heating, slice beets very thin using a mandoline or v-slicer.
- Add beet slices to the simple syrup and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Drain for 5 minutes, then lay beets on in a single layer on a silicone baking mat or foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, then let cool.
- Store in a covered container to retain freshness.
Notes: Only use red beets for making beet chips, as the lighter colored beets will turn gray and oxidize. Although they still taste good, they look unappetizing!