Black Bean Butternut Squash Chili
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 cups coarsely chopped Swiss chard (optional)
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add squash and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes (stir frequently to prevent sticking).
- Add onions and garlic, sauté an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, beans, broth, and tomatoes with juices.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- If desired, stir in chard and simmer an additional 5 minutes until chard is tender.
- Serve with fresh cornbread and top with cilantro and low-fat sour cream, if desired.
Courtesy of Share our Strength's Cooking Matters