Black Bean Vegetable Quesadillas
Yield: 6, 1 (8-inch) quesadilla per serving
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup canned or frozen corn
- ½ (15-½ ounce) can black beans
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese
- 12 (8-inch) whole wheat flour tortillas
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Rinse zucchini and carrots. Peel carrots.
- Dice carrots and slice zucchini.
- Heat canola oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat and sauté carrots until semi-soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and corn to saucepan and cook until tender, remove from heat.
- Drain and rinse black beans, adding half the can to vegetable mixture, and stir to combine.
- Season mixture with salt and black pepper and add rinsed and chopped fresh parsley or cilantro if using.
- Grate cheddar cheese.
- Spread 4 Tablespoons of vegetable mixture on each of 6 tortillas.
- Top each tortilla with 2 Tablespoons shredded cheese and then another tortilla.
- Bake quesadillas directly on oven rack until cheese melts, about 7 minutes.
- Cut each quesadilla into 6 wedges (like a pizza) and serve immediately.
Notes: Add any of your favorite vegetables to the filling or use as toppings. Top with low-fat sour cream or salsa. Use the other half of canned beans in a soup or to top a salad. For easier cleanup, line oven rack with one or two sheets of aluminum foil, to catch any melting cheese from the tortillas.
Recipe provided by: Chef Deborah Kelly – Chicago, Ill.
Courtesy of Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters