Black Beans and Rice
- 1 lb. dried black beans, sorted for stones and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. corn oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 Tbsp. red cooking wine
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- In a large saucepan, cover beans with water. Bring beans to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour.
- In a separate large saucepan or Dutch oven, sauté onion and garlic in oil. Drain soaked beans and add vegetable broth, bay leaves, and cooking wine. Bring beans to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered. Add water during cooking to keep water level just above level of beans.
- When beans are just starting to become tender, add remaining ingredients except rice and cilantro. Continue simmering until beans are tender.
- Prepare rice per package directions, omitting salt and margarine.
- To serve, place rice in individual serving bowls and top with beans. Top with cilantro if desired.
Saturated Fat: 0
Calories from Fat: 18
Dietary Fiber: 9
Recipe by Michele M. Doucette, PhD