Yield: 16 Pancakes
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1½ cups nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Place pecans in small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 2-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk flour, berries, toasted pecans, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the mix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, buttermilk, and canola, then pour into the blueberry-pecan mix.
- Stir until just combined.
- Use about ¼ cup batter for each pancake.
Nutrition Information per Serving (2 pancakes): 259 calories , 10g fat (1g sat, 6g mono), 54mg cholesterol, 35g carbohydrate , 8g protein, 356mg sodium , 109mg potassium
For more healthy living tips, visit KaiserPermanente.org.
Sue Heikkinen, a registered dietitian, received her bachelor’s degree from the University of Colorado. She received her master’s degree from the University of Minnesota and performed her dietetic internship there.