Chile Scented Cornbread
Yield: 1-9" skillet
- 1½ T. vegetable oil
- ¾ c. flour
- 3 T. sugar
- 1½ t. baking powder
- ¼ t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- 1¼ c. coarse ground cornmeal
- ½ c. milk
- One – 8 ounce container sour cream
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ c. roasted chopped chilies
- 3 T. butter, melted
- 1 c. corn kernels (defrosted and drained if frozen or canned)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Warm a 9" cast iron skillet in oven and add oil to heat.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the cornmeal. Add the milk, sour cream and eggs and stir lightly. Add the melted butter and stir to blend. Stir in the corn and roasted chilies.
- Scrape the batter into the hot skillet; the oil should bubble. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for about 18 minutes, or until the center springs back when lightly pressed. Turn the cornbread out onto a rack to cool.
- While bread is baking prepare lime butter. In medium bowl, combine the butter, lime zest and juice and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and reserve at room temperature.
- Cut bread into wedges and serve warm.
Recipe provided by: Chef Shellie Kark, KitchenCUE