Chile Verde with Turkey and Brown Rice
This is a winning recipe from the 2013 EatWell@School Cooking Competition. Students at Manual High School in Denver stuck to strict school food nutrition guidelines and a budget of less than $1 per student when creating this healthy meal.
- 3lbs Turkey breasts
- ¼ C + 2T Vegetable oil
- 1 C Onion, small dice (¼ inch)
- 2 Jalapeños, seeded and finely diced
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 16 oz Tomatoes, canned, whole
- 16 oz Green chilies, diced, canned
- 4 C Chicken stock
- 2 C Brown rice
- 4 C Water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350?F.
2. Coat Turkey with oil and salt and pepper on sheet pan.
3. Place Turkey in oven and cook until cooked through (about 15 minutes).
4. Remove Turkey from oven and allow to cool.
5. Once Turkey is cool enough to handle shred with fork and set aside.
1. Heat pot over medium high heat, add 2T oil to pot.
2. Add onions and cook until translucent – about 3-5 minutes.
3. Add jalapeños, garlic, cumin, and oregano and cook until fragrant about 1 minute.
4. Add remaining ingredients including turkey.
5. Simmer until desired consistency (about 30 min).
6. Serve Chili Verde over brown rice.
1. Rinse rice until water runs clear
2. Add rice and water to half hotel pan cover with plastic wrap and tinfoil.
3. Cook in oven for 30-40 minutes (until water is absorbed).
4. Uncover and fluff with fork.