Cilantro and Pepita Seed Pesto with Orzo
Yield: 6 servings
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled, trimmed, halved, sprout removed
- 1 c. fresh, lightly packed cilantro leaves
- 1 c. pepita seeds, roughly chopped
- 1 t. salt
- 3 ripe Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, chopped
- ½ c. olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Lime juice to taste
- 1 pound orzo
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade place the garlic, cilantro, pepitas and salt. Pulse to roughly chop ingredients, about 10-15 pulses. Remove lid, scrape down sides of the bowl and add the tomatoes. With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil and stop motor. Remove pesto from food processor to a clean bowl and adjust seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper and lime juice. Reserve at room temperature.
- Cook the orzo in the boiling water, stirring frequently, until tender. Drain, reserving one cup of the cooking water, and pour orzo into a large bowl. Add pesto to the orzo along with a little of the starchy cooking water and stir well to combine. Adjust seasoning and serve hot.
© Copyright Chef Shellie Kark KitchenCUE 2011