Recipe courtesy of the students at Manual High School, Denver, CO, who competed during the EatWell@School Cooking Competition 2012-2013.
- 3 lb Yellow squash from Colorado, sliced frozen, thawed
- 1 ½ lb Spinach, fresh, washed/dried
- 32 oz Kidney beans, canned, drained/rinsed
- 2 Red onions, fresh, small dice
- 2 Jalapeno peppers, seeded, minced
- 4 ½ TBL Canola oil
- 1 ½ TBL ZHoney from Colorado
- 3 tsp Chili powder
- 3 tsp Pepper, ground
- 2 oz Chicken broth, low-sodium, low-fat
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil at medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent. Add jalapenos and broth.
- Add squash and continue to sauté until tender. Add beans and honey. Lower heat.
- Season with spices. Add spinach and cook until it is wilted.
- Serve a 1 cup portion.