English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich
Yield: 2, 1 sandwich per serving
- 1 small tomato
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 whole wheat English muffins
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- Pinch salt
- 1 small avocado
- Rinse and slice tomato into 4 slices. Rinse spinach. If using avocado, peel, remove pit, and slice.
- Split each muffin in half. Set muffin tops aside.
- In medium skillet over medium heat, heat oil.
- Gently break eggs into skillet. Be careful not to break the yolk. Cook about 1 minute. Carefully flip each egg over with a rubber spatula. Cook until yolk is slightly firm, about 1-2 minutes. Top each muffin bottom with cooked egg.
- Add spinach to skillet with a splash of water and pinch of salt. Cover and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Top with egg with tomato and spinach. If using avocado, add avocado slices. Cover with the muffin tops to make a sandwich.
- Scramble the eggs instead of frying, if you like.
- Try toasting the muffins in a toaster or in the oven set to broil before adding eggs and toppings.
- Top cooked eggs with sliced low-fat cheese or turkey bacon. Cook 1 slice turkey bacon in skillet for 1 minute on each side. Break into pieces and add to muffin.