Yield: 8, 1 (4½ inch x 3 inch) square per serving
- 12 medium eggs
- 1½ pounds frozen broccoli florets
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- 2 medium white onions
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley leaves
- 9×13-inch baking dish
- Meat thermometer
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Using a fork or whisk, whip eggs in a large mixing bowl until well blended.
- Add the broccoli florets to the boiling water and briefly boil for 30 seconds, then use a colander to drain.
- Grate the cheddar cheese.
- Peel, rinse, and dice onions.
- Coat medium frying pan with non-stick cooking spray. Sauté onions over medium-high heat until soft and transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Coat 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer ingredients in the baking dish in the following order: onions, broccoli, eggs, cheddar cheese, dill, salt, and black pepper.
- Bake until eggs are firm and cheese is melted, about 35 minutes, or until thermometer inserted in middle reads 160°F.
- Garnish with rinsed and chopped parsley, if using.
Notes: Add any of your favorite vegetables in this recipe. If using frozen vegetables, follow step 4 to briefly boil. If using fresh, steam until crisp-tender before layering with other ingredients. Cooked frittata can be cut into portions and frozen for future meals. Try egg substitute instead of eggs, if desired.
Recipe provided by: Chef Arthur Birnbaum – Ithaca, N.Y.
Courtesy of Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters