Garlicky Sesame-Cured Broccoli Salad
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1½ t. red wine vinegar
- 1 t. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 heads fresh, raw broccoli, 1 # each, cut into florets
- 2/3 rd’s c. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 t. cumin seeds
- 2 t. roasted sesame oil
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, stir together vinegar and salt. Add broccoli and toss to coat. Let cure 10- 15 minutes while you prepare sauce.
- In a medium pot heat olive oil until warm, but not smoking. Add garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to one minute. Stir in sesame oil and pepper flakes. Pour mixture over broccoli and stir well to combine and coat. Let marinate at least 1 hour at room temperature and adjust seasonings. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Can be stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Recipe adapted from New York Times