Green Tomato Bread
Kids think this tastes like a nice cinnamon bread, but adults will appreciate the added nutrition from the tomatoes – great for those end of season green tomatoes!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 20 servings
- ½ cup canola oil
- 8 ounces nonfat yogurt, plain
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Splenda (or use all sugar)
- 2 cups drained pureed green tomatoes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two loaf pans.
- Combine oil, yogurt, eggs, sugar, Splenda and green tomatoes in a large bowl and mix well.
- Sift together all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices and add to wet ingredients along with the whole wheat flour.
- Stir together just until combined.
- Divide evenly between two prepared pans and bake just until a toothpick comes clean from the center of the bread, about 45 minutes.
- Let cool in pans, then remove.
- To retain moisture, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. May be frozen.