Jalapeño Infused Peach Crumble
Jen, Maria, Maria, Ivan and Janeth of Bruce Randolph School are our 2012 EatWell@School Cooking Competition winners and the creators of this recipe. Denver Public Schools and the Denver Museum of Nature & Science's T-Rex Cafe featured this dish on May 8, 2013. Now, you can make it at home!
- 5-15 ½ oz Canned diced Peaches in light syrup, drained
- 8 each Jalapenos, quartered
- 1 cup Applesauce, unsweetened
- ½ cup Brown Sugar, divided
- 2 cups Oats
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Low Fat Vanilla Yogurt
- Place 1/4 cup of brown sugar in a large pan over medium low heat until melted. Add peaches and mix to coat. Add applesauce and jalapenos and heat until thick and bubbly. Remove jalapenos. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, rest of the brown sugar (1/4 cup), cinnamon and nutmeg until evenly distributed. Place oat mixture into a large pan over medium heat stirring often and toast until brown. Place into a large bowl and drizzle with honey. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt with a pinch of cinnamon. Set aside.
- To plate: Use an ice cream scoop to portion peaches onto tray. Sprinkle the peaches with 2 tablespoons of the oats over the peaches. Place a dollop of yogurt on top of the peaches. Garnish with a julienne strip of jalapeno.