Juicy Mango Wigglers
Jell-O Jigglers: What can we say? They contain artificial colors and about a tablespoon of sugar per square. We decided to give them one of our healthy makeovers after hearing from a blog reader whose son was hooked on the wiggly little squares. By using 100% fruit juice, frozen fruit, and plain gelatin, we create an all-natural treat that is just as fun to eat and a lot lower in sugar. We use just one or two tablespoons for the entire recipe.
Yield: 24 wigglers
- 1½ cups 100% tropical mango juice blend
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 2 envelopes plain, unflavored gelatin
- 1-2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- In a blender, blend together 1 cup of the juice and the frozen mango until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally to break up any frothy bubbles.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining ½ cup juice in a large bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the juice and let stand 1 minute. Add the hot juice mixture and stir, or gently whisk, until the gelatin completely dissolves, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar.
- Pour the mixture into an 8 x 8-inch pan or dish. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours. Cut into twenty-four 2 x 1-1/3-inch rectangles. Use an off-set spatula to remove them from the pan.
Nutrition Information per Serving (2 wigglers): 20 calories, 0g fat, 0mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate, 1g protein, 25% vitamin C.
Recipe submitted by: Liz W eiss, MS, RD and Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD
Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD and Liz Weiss, MS, RD are The Meal Makeover Moms, and together, they’re on a mission to help busy families eat a healthy and delicious diet. Their latest cookbook, Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen or listen to their weekly radio podcast,