Lighter Pasta Primavera with Shrimp
A light pasta dish packed with healthy vegetables of your choice.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups low fat milk
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups vegetables of choice, diced (zucchini, broccoli, carrots, eggplant)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- ¼ cup minced fresh herbs (basil, parsley or thyme)
- 1 pound cooked shrimp
- 8 ounces pasta of choice, cooked al dente and drained, retaining some of the pasta cooking water
- Heat butter and flour together in a saucepan over medium high heat until bubbly, but don’t allow it to brown.
- Whisk in milk a little at a time to prevent lumps – when all the milk has been added, continue stirring until mixture bubbles and thickens.
- Stir in cheese, remove from heat, and cover to hold.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and add onion; cook for 3-5 minutes to soften, then add your selection of diced vegetables and cook until tender crisp, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add onion, tomato and herbs if using, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Combine cooked pasta with vegetables and cheese sauce and stir together thinning sauce with some of the reserved pasta water if needed.
- Divide between four plates and top with cooked shrimp.