Mighty Meatballs with Marinara
- 1 pound lean turkey, ground
- 1 cup (packed) spinach, frozen, drained
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces mozzarella (4 string cheese)
- 1 Tbsp Italian Herb seasoning
- 1 6-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp sugar, brown
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp Italian Herb seasoning (no salt added)
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Blend turkey, spinach, egg and herbs. Cut mozzarella into 24, ¼-inch cubes. Divide meatball mixture into 24 balls. Stuff each with one mozzarella cube. Roll meatball mix around cheese to seal and form a round meatball.
- Freeze meatballs until ready to cook.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Place meatballs on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
- If frozen: bake for 20 minutes, turn oven to 350°F until meatballs are fully cooked; if thawed: bake for 15 minutes, turn oven to 350°F until meatballs are fully cooked (internal temperature reaches 165° for 15 seconds).
To prepare sauce:
- Blend all ingredients in a large sauce pot. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot meatballs and sauce over whole-wheat pasta or a toasted whole-wheat hoagie bun.