Northwest Apple Salad
Yield: 4, ¾ cup per serving
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples
- 2 Tablespoons dried currants
- 3 Tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon whole, shelled walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Rinse and remove cores from apples, do not peel. Cut into 1-inch pieces and place in medium mixing bowl.
- Add currants and yogurt to bowl. Mix well.
- Put nuts into a small saute pan and toast over medium heat on the stovetop until golden brown and fragrant. Watch carefully, so they don’t burn.
- Remove nuts from hot pan and let cool.
- Put cooled nuts into a plastic bag and use a rolling pin or an unopened can to crush into small pieces.
- Add crushed nuts and optional dried cranberries and honey to the salad, toss, and serve.
Notes: Use any kind of apple in this recipe. You can substitute raisins for currants. Substitute any kind of nuts for the walnuts, if desired. Instead of toasting nuts on stovetop, you can place nuts on a baking sheet and into a preheated 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Nuts can burn quickly, so watch them closely.
Recipe provided by: Chef Linette True – Portland, Ore.
Courtesy of Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters