Oven-Fried Herbed Chicken
Try this healthier low fat version of fried chicken.
- Cooking spray
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 13x9x2" baking pan with aluminum foil. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Place the chicken in a single layer on a large plate and pour the buttermilk over it. Turn the pieces until well-coated.
- Combine the bread crumbs, thyme, salt, and pepper in a plastic bag. Add the chicken to the bag, one piece at a time. Close the bag and shake to coat the chicken. Allow to stand 5-10 minutes so coating will adhere. Arrange chicken in the baking pan so that the pieces don’t touch. Bake for 30 minutes or until done and crumbs form a crisp crust.
Saturated Fat: 1
Calories from Fat: 27
Dietary Fiber: 1
Recipe by Michele M. Doucette, PhD