Pasta e Fagioli
A hearty pasta soup/stew that's made extra healthy by adding beans and kale.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 2 cups cannellini beans, dried
- 10 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes, drained
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 8 ounces pasta, small shape, dried
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for garnish
- Cook the cannellini beans either by a traditional soak and cook method or by using a pressure cooker to cook more quickly.
- Drain beans, reserving some of the bean water.
- Puree half of the beans using some of the water as needed.
- Combine pureed beans with stock, tomatoes, kale, onion, garlic, thyme and sage and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked beans and return to a boil, then add pasta and cook just until al dente.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese for garnish.