Pasta with Cream of Zucchini Sauce
When the garden serves up too much summer zucchini, use it for this yummy pasta sauce.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium zucchini, grated or sliced very thin
- 1 large white onion, sliced very thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, or more if needed (may reduce fat by using whole milk or half and half)
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, cooked and drained (or other pasta of choice)
- 2 tablespoons minced basil or parsley, optional
- Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for topping
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high.
- Add zucchini, onions and garlic, then season with salt and pepper.
- Stir together to coat vegetables in oil, then cover, reduce heat to medium, and cooking until very soft and vegetables have caramelized deeply, about 30 minutes, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add cream to skillet to deglaze pan, and add herbs if using.
- Transfer to a food processor and puree.
- Adjust seasonings and serve over cooked hot pasta with some Parmigiano cheese.
Notes: Don’t be afraid to really let the vegetables get quite brown – this gives the sauce an almost nutty flavor to it.