Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes
When Liz’s son Josh entered middle school, she was disappointed to learn they no longer allotted time for a mid-morning snack break. Concerned that Josh would be starving by the time lunch rolled around (not to mention, so hungry he would find it hard to concentrate), Liz began beefing up his breakfast. These pumpkin pancakes are one of his favorites. They’re jam-packed with nutritious ingredients — whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, eggs, milk, and pumpkin — and when topped with a drizzle of pure maple syrup, anyone would be happy to start their day with a stack.
Yield: 4 to 5 Servings (About 14 pancakes)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed or wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ½ cup canned 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, flaxseed, sugar, chocolate chips, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, pumpkin, and vanilla until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Lightly oil or coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour the batter onto the hot skillet using a ¼-cup measuring cup, forming 4-inch pancakes.
- Cook until bubbles begin to appear on the surface of the pancakes and the bottoms turn golden, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until the other sides are golden, an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining cooking spray and batter.
Nutritional Information (3 pancakes): 280 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated, 0.7g omega-3), 330mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 11g protein, 80% vitamin A, 25% calcium, 15% iron
Recipe submitted by: Liz W eiss, MS, RD and Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD
Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD and Liz Weiss, MS, RD are The Meal Makeover Moms, and together, they’re on a mission to help busy families eat a healthy and delicious diet. Their latest cookbook, Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen or listen to their weekly radio podcast,