“Ritzy” Chicken Nuggets
Yield: Makes 12-16 nuggets to feed 3-4 children
- 2 chicken breasts (with the bone each weighing approx. 8oz; slightly less without)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1¾ cup Ritz cracker crumbs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Cut out the chicken bone if there is one, and put the chicken breasts one at a time into freezer bag so that they lie flat. Bash with a rolling pin until the chicken is quite thin, and then take it out and slice into about six to eight slices. Repeat with the other chicken breast. Scissors make this easy for children, too, and as long as you make them wash their hands well before and after, of course, you may hand a pair straight to a nearby child. Put the slices into a freezer bag with the buttermilk and leave in the fridge to marinate for up to 2 days.
- When you are ready to cook them, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Put the Ritz crackers into a bag, seal the end, than bash them as above and, once they have broken down a little, roll them with a rolling pin still inside the bag.
- Tip the crumbs into a wide shallow bowl, and then shake off the excess buttermilk from the nuggets and dip them in the crumbs. Coat them well before laying gently in the hot oil, and cooking for about 2 or 3 minutes a side until they are golden brown. Transfer to some paper towel on a plate to blot the excess oil.
© 2004 Nigella Lawson