Roasted Eggplant and Red Bell Pepper Compote
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into ½” cubes
- 2 red bell peppers, diced into ½” pieces
- 1 red onion, peeled, ¼” dice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Approximately 3 T. olive oil
- 1 t. chopped fresh thyme (or 1/3 t. dried)
- 2 t. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1½ t. kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T. tomato paste mixed with 2 T. extra virgin olive oil and 1 T. balsamic vinegar
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place eggplant, bell peppers, onion and garlic in a large bowl.
- Combine the olive oil, thyme, rosemary and salt and pour over vegetables. Toss to coat the vegetables well and season with freshly ground pepper.
- Spread vegetables on a parchment lined baking sheet in an even layer. Roast for about 25-30 minutes, until the vegetables are lightly browned and soft, stirring once during baking. Remove vegetables from oven and transfer to a large bowl. While vegetables are still warm, pour in tomato paste mixture and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and more vinegar, as desired.
- Serve compote as a vegetable accompaniment, on croutons as an appetizer or use it as a stuffing for chicken, pork or other vegetables for a vegetarian option. Can be served warm, room temperature or cold. Grate Parmesan cheese over the top or stir in before serving.
© Copyright Chef Shellie Kark KitchenCUE 2011