Southwest Chicken Hash
Recipe courtesy of the students at Manual High School, Denver, CO, who competed during the EatWell@School Cooking Competition 2012-2013.
- 12-2 oz rolls Whole grain dinner roll
- 2 lb Chicken, fajita strips, full cooked, medium dice
- 24 oz Sweet potatoes, orange, fresh, grated
- 3 Yellow onions, fresh, small dice
- 3 Green bell peppers, fresh, small dice
- 4 ½ TBSP Canola oil
- 2 TBSP Chili powder
- 3 TBSP Cumin, ground
- 16 oz Chicken broth, low-sodium, low-fat
- 24 oz Corn, cut, whole kernel frozen
- Bake dinner rolls according to instructions.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 ½ TBSP oil and add onions and peppers. Add sweet potatoes and sauté until potatoes and peppers are tender. Medium heat.
- Add chicken broth to sauté pan and let simmer. Add chicken, ½ TBSP cumin and ½ TBSP chili powder. Stir until well coated. Reduce to low heat and allow to thicken.
- Heat remaining oil in a medium sauté pan and sauté corn kernels. Season with remaining spices.
- To plate: Cut roll in half (open faced), top with 4 ounces of chicken hash (be sure to include some of the liquid) and garnish with sautéed corn.