Steamed Beef Balls with Tangerine Peel
Chef’s Note: You can buy dried tangerine peel at Asian markets, but we always made our own. Just save the skins after peeling a tangerine. Place in a covered basket to let dry, then store in a tightly sealed spice bottle. It is important to scrape off the white inner part of the peel – the pith – to remove the bitterness.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces, then minced
- 1 piece dried tangerine or orange peel, about 1-inch by 1-inch, soaked in water, inner white scraped off, minced fine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Let flavors blend for 15 minutes.
- Form into 16 round meatballs.
- Place in a steamer and steam over high heat 7-8 minutes. If you don’t have a steamer, bake in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through. Serve as a side dish with vegetables and a rice or noodle dish.