Sweet Carrot Ginger Soup
Carrots are the star ingredient in this simple, creamy, and oh-so nutritious summer soup. We use vegetable broth, so the soup is vegetarian … perfect for Meatless Mondays.
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup red onion cut into ¼-inch dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- One 32-ounce carton all-natural vegetable broth (4 cups)
- 2 cups carrot juice
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small 10-ounce sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, pepper, paprika, and cayenne as desired (remember, just a pinch), and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Stir in the broth, carrot juice, carrots, and sweet potato. Cover, raise the heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in the lime juice.
- Let the soup cool slightly. Transfer to a blender and puree in batches until very smooth and creamy. You can also use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish (see tip below).
Garnish Idea: Toast up thin slices of French bread, and spread a thin layer of soft goat cheese on top. Place on soup, sprinkle with chives, and drizzle with a bit of honey as desired.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 generous cup): 150 calories, 5g fat (0.5g saturated), 410mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 3g protein, 590% vitamin A, 30% vitamin C