Yield: 6-8 servings
This family recipe came from Marty's Bar-B-Q in Kansas City. Sweet, white vinegar–based slaw like this is barbecue's standard side dish and is especially good piled on pork sandwiches.
- ½ c. sugar
- ¾ c. white vinegar
- 2 t. mustard seeds
- 2 t. celery seeds
- 1 t. salt
- 1 small green cabbage, shredded
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
- 1 T. minced pimientos
- 1 small red onion, peeled and minced
- Mix together sugar, vinegar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and salt in a large bowl. Stir until sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add cabbage, peppers, pimientos, and onions and toss to mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to 2 weeks. The longer it marinates, the more "pickled" it becomes.