Vegetable Tofu Pie
Yield: 6 servings
- One 16-ounce package firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- One 6-ounce bag baby spinach (4 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
(about ½ cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Drain the tofu in a colander. Place on a cutting board and cut into four 1-inch-thick slices. Pat dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Lightly oil or coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Raise the heat to medium-high, add the spinach and carrot, and cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach wilts and the carrot is tender, about 5 minutes. Place on a cutting board and coarsely chop.
- Meanwhile, place the tofu, eggs, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the Cheddar cheese and the cooked vegetables.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared pie plate and bake until golden, about 35 minutes. Let stand about 5 minutes so the pie is easier to slice.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 slice): 170 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated, 0.1g omega-3), 400mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 15g protein, 60% vitamin A, 30% calcium, 15% iron
Janice Newell Bissex, MS, RD and Liz Weiss, MS, RD are The Meal Makeover Moms, and together, they’re on a mission to help busy families eat a healthy and delicious diet. Their latest cookbook, No Whine with Dinner (M3 Press, 2011) features 150 healthy, kid-tested, mom-approved recipes and 50 amazing secrets for getting picky eaters to try new foods … especially vegetables. For credible nutrition advice and easy, affordable family recipes, visit their award-winning blog, Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen or listen to their weekly radio podcast, Cooking with the Moms.