Whole-Wheat Penne Pasta with Red Pepper Sauce
Roasted red peppers combined with the baked garlic make an excellent pasta sauce.
- 8 cloves garlic, unpeeled.
- 3 red peppers, roasted and skin removed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup unblanched almonds
- 1/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 pound penne pasta
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wrap garlic loosely in aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes until garlic is soft when pressed. Let garlic cool to enough to handle and squeeze garlic cloves out of their skin.
- In a food processor or blender, whirl the garlic and remaining ingredients, except pasta, for 1 minute or until mixture is pureed but still retains some texture. Transfer sauce to a medium saucepan and warm over low heat.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta to al dente per package directions, omitting salt. To serve, transfer pasta to a warm serving bowl and top with heated sauce.
Saturated Fat: 1
Calories from Fat: 81
Dietary Fiber: 1
Recipe by Michele M. Doucette, PhD