Zucchini Fritters with Feta
These fritters can be cooked one day ahead. Place on baking sheet, cover, and chill. Rewarm uncovered in 350°F oven for 12 minutes.
Yield: 18 patties
- 2½ cups coarsely grated zucchini (from about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup (or more) flour
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil
- Toss zucchini and ½ teaspoon salt in colander, let stand 5 minutes. Press out excess liquid (or place in towel and wring out excess liquid);
- Place zucchini in dry bowl. Mix in egg, ½ cup flour, cheese, cayenne pepper and ½ teaspoon salt. Mix in onions. If batter is very wet, add more flour by spoonfuls.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat, just so the oil covers the bottom of the pan.
- Working in batches, drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into skillet. Fry patties until golden, approx. 5 minutes per side, adding more oil as needed. Transfer to paper towels.